Upcycled Leggings Pouch
Ever had a pair of leggings which you hardly wear anymore but love the colour? Why not upcyle it into a handy pouch or a pencil/ makeup case instead!
Pennywize shows you how:
What You’ll Need
- 1 pair of old zippered leggings
- Matching thread
- Sewing needle
- Sewing Machine (optional)
How To Do It
1. Lay your pair of leggings flat and cut off one leg about 3cm higher than the zipper end (as per the picture below). This will be the basis of your case. Note: As most leggings are tapered towards the end, you will need to cut the base into a straight line to ensure that everything remains even.
2. Cut off another piece of legging and make sure it is at least 5cm longer than your pouch zipper.
3. Cut this piece of legging open along the seam and lay it flat. Then cut it into strips. The width of the strips depends on how thick you want each plait to be. In this instance, we used strips of about 2cm wide.
4. Pin 3 strips together and plait (as you would do if you had a pigtail).
5. Make as many plaits as you need to fill up the sides of the pouch. In this case, we used four.
6. Lay the base of the case out flat, with the top of the zipper facing you. Starting on one side of the zipper, pin the fabric plaits in rows, ensuring that you leave enough space for a hem.
7. Then hand stitch the fabric plaits onto the fabric below. Make sure that you stitch the sides of each plait in order to hold them down.
8. Repeat on the opposite side off the zipper. But if you’re feeling lazy, you could get away with just one side.
9. Now close the zipper to about the halfway mark and turn the case inside out. Use your sewing machine to sew the 3 open edges to form your case shape. You can also hand sew, of course.
10. Once you’ve completed stitching all around, carefully trim the excess edges.
11. Flip it back to the right side and you have a lovely plaited pencil or makeup case! The plaits also provide some cushioning in case you have more delicate items to place inside.